DUTIES OF THE MEMBERS OF THE GREEK CAR RENTAL ASSOCIATION
- QUALITY OF SERVICES PROVIDED
a) The Members are expected to be respectful, responsible and professional during their business activities and dealings with the customer. Their personnel should also be trained to comply with the principles of this Code and during their dealings with the customers, be willing to serve them in a professional manner.
- b)The brochure of each member, as well as on their respective website, should not contain deceptive or inaccurate information. Prices, Terms and Conditions for rental should be in a clear, easy to understand and compact format. Additionally, the brochure should contain detailed information on optional insurance coverage, and other available services.
- c)When possible, the signage of the Association should appear in all printed material and offers made by the members, on their website as well as in their place of business activity indicating a symbol of quality of products and services.
- CONDITION OF VEHICLES
- a)The vehicles offered for rental should be as new as possible. Their condition should ensure absolute road safety. Meticulous services must be undertaken according to the manufacturer’s specifications, and in additional, maintenance should take place in order to ensure the mechanical safety of the vehicle.
- b)A vehicle having sustained serious damage should not be rented.
- c)All documents and accessories required by law should be present in the vehicle, upon delivery.
- d)Members should assist customers for them to become familiar with the basic operations of the vehicle at the time of rental.
- a) At the time of reservation, the customer should be given clear and concise information concerning the rental terms and conditions, as well as methods of payments in order to avoid post rental queries for hidden charges.
b) The price offered should include all compulsory insurance coverage’s and taxes. There should be sufficient clarification what the specific Tariff includes, as well as the conditions under which this Tariff is applicable i.e., kilometer limits, non-waivable excess (deductible amounts), fuel etc.
- c)The customer should be informed of cancellation procedures, as well as any fee due to either cancellation or No-Show.
- d)When the reservation procedure is completed, Members should summarise the procedures of the reservation noting the Terms and Conditions.
- e)Whenever possible, the customer should be given a written confirmation of his reservation where the agreed terms should be mentioned as well as a unique reservation number (Reservation Code).
- RENTAL RENTAL AGREEMENTS AND OBLIGATION TO INFORM
- a)Rental Agreements should be in accordance with current legislation concerning the fiscal and tax regulations for the provision of services and to be completed in a clear and concise manner.
- b)The prices, terms and conditions of the rental should not be different from those agreed at the time of reservation. A term that has not been clearly explained to the customer at the time of reservation should not be imposed on him later.
- c)Members should inform the customer on the compulsory insurance coverage as well as on optional coverage offered and the relevant costs. Independently of the customer’s preference, the Members should inform him of his financial obligations in case of damage or theft of the vehicle.
- d)Members should also inform the customers of any other possible charge, more specifically (but not limited) those concerning:
- Offer of additional equipment or services (e.g. child seat, mobile telephone, navigator etc)
- Refueling charges and Fuel Policy
- Excess kilometers
- One way rentals
- Additional drivers
- Young drivers
- Charges for delivery/collection from an Airport, Port or other place out of operating locations
- Return of the vehicle “Out of the Office Hours”
- Traffic violations
- Damage to the vehicle
The customer should also be given the following information:
- Place and time for the return of the vehicle (the working hours of the location should be mentioned)
- What the customer should do in the case of accident, mechanical problem or theft of the vehicle
- Possibility for “one way” rentals
- Restrictions in force or conditions for the return of the vehicle to an alternative location, to another country or out of operating hours
- Minimum age of the driver and any special requirements or restrictions concerning the driving license
- Type of fuel
- Policy for the refueling and options available to the client
- All terms and conditions in force for the use of a rented vehicle
- e)Before delivery of the vehicle to the client, an internal and external check should be made for any existing damages and to ensure the requested equipment has been provided. (ie. child seat, mobile telephone, navigator etc)
- f)Members should explain to clients the deposit requirements (either cash or through the use of a credit card) as well as any optional method of payment upon the return of the vehicle. The client should have the option of settling in cash.
- g)Members should make it clear to the client that, if payment is made by credit card, then by signing the Rental Agreement he gives his approval for all charges appearing on the Rental Agreement to be debited to his credit card.
- h)Information given to the client should be clear and concise. The use of specific Rent-a-Car terminology unclear to customers should be avoided when speaking directly with the client.
- i)The client should be given a copy of his Rental Agreement.
a) Members should ensure all their vehicles are insured by an accredited insurance company.
- b)For personal injuries and damage to Third Parties and Public Liabilities, the minimum cover charge provided by the Law should be guaranteed.
- a)Invoicing should be made according to the prices quoted to the client at the time of rental. It should be in detail and mention each individual charge.
- b)Upon return of the vehicle, and in the presence of the client, the condition of the vehicle should be checked. In case of damage or missing accessories, these should be recorded and the customer should sign the Rental Agreement that he was advised and accepts to pay the respective charge.
- c)In the case of damage or missing accessories, noted after the departure of the client, the customer should be informed in writing, as soon as possible, and his approval received for the relevant amount to be debited to his credit card.
- d)No charge for damage or missing accessories should be made without the previous consent of the client.
- e)An effort should be made to close the account in the presence of the client. If this is not possible, the Members should send the client a detailed report concerning the amounts debited as well as the procedure the client should follow in case he disputes the charge. The above report should be sent to the client promptly, in order to avoid him losing any right to dispute the amount billed.
Members must ensure prompt and professional responses to queries raised by the clients.
- PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION
Members are bound to maintain and process the personal data of their customers, according to the rules of the Personal Data Protection Act.
- LEGAL RIGHTS
No terms or conditions on the Rental Agreement should prohibit or limit the right of any renter to have access to the competent Greek courts for mitigation or for the solution of any differences.
REGULATIONS OF THE MEMBERS OF THE GREEK CAR RENTAL ASSOCIATION
- a)The Members of the Association in their relations should respect the principles of confidence, truthfulness and “bona fide”, and also to comply with the common practice within the framework of a free and competitive market.
- b)The Members of the Association should avoid acts defaming Greek tourism in general or those which are contrary to the object of the Articles of Association, causing unfair competition among them (e.g. unfair stalking of clientele or unfair exploitation of entrepreneurial occasions etc).
- c)The Members should inform the Association and exchange confidential information and data concerning the Greek and foreign tourist market, if this information may have an impact on their activities or, more generally, Greek Tourism.
- d)The Members agree to give accurate date of their companies, (e.g. fleet numbers, employees and locations etc).
RIGHT TO CONTROL AND PENALTIES
- a)GCRA has the right to audit its members in order to ensure that rules of the Code of Conduct are observed.
- b)In order to carry out an audit, the Board of GCRA shall establish a Committee composed of three (3) members of the Board. At the discretion of the Board, the Legal Advisor of the GCRA or any qualifying third party may also participate in this Committee.
c) An audit may be also carried out following receipt of a written complaint concerning unethical conduct on the part of a member.
- d)The Committee shall examine the merits of the complaint both objectively and responsibly, using any appropriate means at its discretion. It may not however, complete its report before the investigated member has been invited to present his statement to the Committee. The relevant invitation, which shall contain the reason of the invitation, shall be served by registered letter or e-mail at least 15 days before the convocation of the Committee.
The investigated member shall provide to the Committee all clarifications, data and information required in connection with the case against him.
If the member fails to respond, within 15 days, to the invitation of the Committee, the Committee shall prepare its report, recommending any measures to be undertaken.
- e) The Committee submits the report to the Board, which shall make a decision. The report prepared by the Committee after the investigation of a complaint may be communicated by the Board to the Greek National Tourist Organization (GNTO), as well as any other competent authority, if so requested or deemed necessary by the GCRA Board.
- f)The penalties that the Board may impose shall be : a) written warning; b) provisional striking off and withdrawal of the GCRA certification and membership; c) final striking off and withdrawal of the GCRA certification and membership.